Little Localvores: Peppers three ways

Welcome to Little Localvores - a weekly series on our family's first experience with a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). Every Tuesday all summer long we will receive a supply of fresh produce and local foods through the Good Natured Family Farms CSA. I'll chronicle my attempts to get my toddlers (3 years and 15 months) to eat fresh and local, healthy foods.

Localvore: someone who prefers to eat locally grown/produced food.


We've had some great peppers in our CSA share for the last several weeks. Here is how I've been using them:


One: Grilled. I love the flavor of slightly charred peppers from the grill. I chopped these and put them with a tuna salad over some greens last week for lunch. The rest went into a simple cheese & pepper, whole wheat quesadilla I made for the kids one night for dinner.


Two: sauteed with mushrooms for a vegetarian soft taco. This is a variation of a recipe for pablano and mushroom tacos that we make all the time. You can find the full recipe here.




Three: Stuffed. Short on time, I used left over brown rice from the night before and a little parmesan cheese, baked at 425 for about 15-20 minutes. You can use just about any grain - I also like quinoa or bulgar with stuffed peppers. With fresh peppers full of flavor, this is an easy weeknight fix.


When we have more time, this is my favorite stuffed pepper recipe (great local food blog, too!).


Eating cherry tomatoes like they were grapes!


You can check out previous Little Localvores posts here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Children know best

Just say Yes!

Izzy's rainbow party - behind the scenes